Wednesday 20 April 2011

My inspiration : Alexandr Rodchenko

Looking back, I think Rodchenko stuck in my memory for a few reasons - more obviously my interest in history and admiration for Soviet propaganda.  Another reason  is my nostalgic memories of my grandfather,who was interested in Rodchenko's work and kept various newspaper cuts and small collage posters in his personal album.

  
Rodchenko’s Early 20th Century design remains current as it still inspires a lot of the modern design. Franz Ferdinand’s You Could Have It So Much Better album and the Take Me Out single art work were both heavily influenced by Rodchenko. Saks Fifth Avenue ad campaign from spring 2009 is also drawing on the bold graphic design and propaganda spirit of Rochenko’s work. I reckon his bold lively style will never age. Who knows where we will we see it next.
riginally focused on painting and graphic design, when Rodchenko started photographing, it was opposed to a painterly aesthetic. Wishing to postpone recognition, he often shot his subjects from unusual angles. His photographs are said to eliminate unnecessary detail and emphasize a dynamic diagonal composition. This is exhibited in the picture to the left. I find the dynamic lines evident in his work very influential and will probably try to recreate these in my photography project. I particularly like his style of portraiture, here are some of his best known works.
One of my cut and paste collage pieces.  This one in particular is inspired by Alexander Rodchenko.
Reading:
http://www.copernicusfilms.com/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/3671028/Alexander-Rodchenko-A-man-who-took-life-lying-down.htmlhttp://danyanovikov.narod.ru/rofo/rodlogos.html

No comments:

Post a Comment